Wednesday, July 31, 2013

♥ How I Went Blonde ♥

Hi everyone! I've been getting a lot of questions about how I went from dark brown to blonde so well and I wanted to make a blog post about it!



First off, this might not work for you because all hair is different! But if you're trying to go blonde, the main thing is to keep your hair healthy. This means constant care, trims, deep conditions, and NO BRIGHT COLORS!

First off, let me explain how hair color works. Every layer of hair color you have is on your hair shaft until you cut it off, unless you have stripped your hair or bleached your hair. Since the last time I was blonde, I have put red and brown on my hair. This means that there was a layer of red underneath my brown hair. I've been coloring the roots of my hair brown and trimming it on a regular basis for three or four months, waiting for the red to be all the way out of my hair. With every haircut, my hair had less and less red in it, because it was being cut off. I knew that once all of the red had been cut off of my hair, the brown would pretty easy to bleach out. I had to have a lot of patience, because if I tried to bleach my hair before the red had grown out it would turn very orange. Red, along with any other bright color is VERY difficult to get out of your hair, making it really difficult to go a lighter color, such as blonde. This is where having short hair comes in handy, it takes A LOT less time to cut off all of the red. So after only a few haircuts, the red was completely trimmed out of my hair and all that I had left was natural hair with one layer of dark brown.

That may seem a little confusing, so I'm sorry, I suck at explaining things.
I went to beauty school, so I learned a lot of these things and this is me trying to explain it in simple words because I can barely understand "technical terms"

So when I knew I had no red left underneath my brown, I decided to bleach my hair.

I used "Up To 7" bleach with 40 volume developer.
Hair levels go from 1-10, 1 being the darkest and 10 being the lightest. "Up to 7" bleach can lift up to seven levels, which means that my dark hair, which was probably a 3 or 4, could lighten up to 7 levels, bringing it to a light blonde color. I used 40 volume developer even though it is harsher on the hair because I knew I needed a strong developer if I wanted to get to a really light blonde.

After the first bleach, the ends of my hair were still a little orange.

I then put more bleach on my hair, only on the orange parts. The rest of my hair was about the color of the inside of a banana peel, which is as light as bleach can get you, so I knew that putting more bleach on would only damage my hair, not make it lighter.

After that, my ends were the same color as the rest of my hair, a light yellow..

Now, to get it less yellow, I used a toner.
A toner is a color you put over bleached hair to take out the yellow and make it white.
There are many different toners. Some make your hair seem grey, some make your hair completely white, and some (when put on very light or white hair) can even give your hair a purple hue. There are many different toners, so before you use one make sure you ask a stylist or a local beauty supply shop worker to make sure you're using the correct toner.

After this, my hair isn't white, but is very light and not orangey. I would like to go a little lighter, but for right now I'm going to give my hair a little break and keep it as it is!

I hope this helped some of you, I know it seems a little confusing, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to explain better!

Thanks for reading! ^-^


No comments:

Post a Comment