Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Confidence


♥ Pixie Cut Confidence ♥

I've had a pixie for about a year and a half now. It was the most liberating and wonderful freeing feeling, cutting off what society believes makes women beautiful.

Most girls asked if I cried. I didn't. I was so happy. I remember being worried while he cut it because my hair looks terrible wet, but when he dried it I felt a huge wave of relief and pure joy. My mom, on the other hand, did cry. Her little girl was taking the first step in being her own person and giving up on making other people happy. (She probably was also a little worried I was going to tell her I'm only interested in girls, saying my sister has short hair and is going to marry her longtime girlfriend) I didn't regret it. I still don't.


 It's such a staple to me as a person. My hair fits me and my personality so well. If I could have long hair in the snap of my fingers, I'd turn down the opportunity.



Sometimes I get bummed out and miss doing things with my hair. Going to beauty school really made me miss it, but at the same time I realized that my hair is so fine and thin it looks scraggly and frizzy when it's long. Watching other girls wand their hair and do top knot buns makes my little heart ache, but then I remember that my hair isn't like theirs and that even if I grew it back out I wouldn't look good if I did those things. It's sometimes hard, but I always talk myself back up.


I am going to buy a couple of kanekalon fiber wigs so when I feel like having cute and fun long hair I can do it. They're cheap and super cute. Extensions are so expensive and don't last, and they wouldn't blend with my short hair anyways. I'm definitely not against wigs. 
Here is a picture of my cute friend Mariah in a wig. Wigs aren't just for dress up! 


Sometimes it does bum me out a little when my friends ask me when I'm going to grow out my hair, try to casually mention that it looks better long, but I try to keep my chin up. It also sucks when my family bugs me about how weird I look, people tell me I would have a boyfriend if it wasn't for my haircut, or when little kids ask why I have "boy hair" or look like a "boy". It makes me so sad to think that they are just raised to believe women can only have long hair. I know they are still just little kids, but it does hurt my feelings. A lot. Whether it's a family member, a kid, a person from school, a friend, someone online, whomever. My feelings get hurt really easily when it comes to my hair because it is still so looked down upon. 




When I get down in the dumps and feel like I'm just not up to snuff I look up pictures of girls with pixie cuts on Tumblr. I don't have a Tumblr, but it has so many cute pictures of cute girls that make me feel so much better about myself. 



Sometimes I get bummed out thinking that they are prettier than me, but they probably have self confidence and self esteem issues sometimes too, because we all do! I shouldn't feel bad because of the bad things people say about my hair, because it's not something everyone can pull off well and it's not an issue of me just growing out my hair because well, I have the finest and thinnest hair on earth and it just doesn't look good long! I'm also super lazy and hate doing my own hair, so this haircut is the right one for me. There are so many different short styles to choose from, and I use a lot less hair color than most people, so I can save some money on that too! I also love accessorizing with cute headbands, clips, bows, head scarfs, and hats. When I'm having a bad hair day, I automatically reach for one and it makes everything 100 times better! 


This is Caroline, she's a bald babe. I figure I'll put her in here because she's cute.




This post isn't really for everyone, but I just wanted to post this for me and so I can look back on it the next time I start to feel my self esteem dropping.

Society is changing, and hopefully soon more people will start trying out pixie cuts.
They're so cute and fun, and honestly, if you can pull off a pixie cut you can pull off anything, in my opinion at least!



If you have any questions or comments about pixie cuts or anything let me know! 
I'd be glad to help!

Thank you for dealing with my sappy post!


2 comments:

  1. I cut my hair short once.
    I hated it.
    Thank God it grew back, because really, my hair looks so cute long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this article is probably older. I don't know.
    But this was a fantastic piece and I want to thank you for sharing. I'm likely going to get my hair cut shortshort tomorrow. I'm excited. Also, admittedly, nervous (mainly because I don't know what exact style I want yet).
    So, thanks for this. Keep being yourself--even if that sounds cliche as hell. Ahah. <3

    ReplyDelete